Wednesday, August 02, 2017

Nate the Great Goes Undercover

Nate the Great Goes Undercover. (Nate the Great #2) Marjorie Weinman Sharmat. Illustrated by Marc Simont. 1974. 48 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: I, Nate the Great, am a detective. I work hard, I rest hard. Tonight I am resting hard from my last case.

Premise/plot: Nate the Great's latest case involves a "pest" named Oliver. (He's the kid-next-door who always, always catches up with Nate no matter how fast Nate walks.) Oliver is reporting a garbage-snatcher in the neighborhood. He wants Nate to figure out WHO is getting into the garbage and making such a huge mess. This won't be an easy case for him to solve, but, Nate--in addition to loving to eat pancakes--is stubborn or persistent when it comes to being on a case until the case is solved.

My thoughts: I liked this one. In addition to introducing Oliver to readers--I'm relatively sure Oliver didn't appear in the first book--readers meet Nate's new dog, Sludge. Some other characters show up again in this one. (Like Rosamond and her cats). I like the writing very much. There are several notes to his mother. I didn't read these at first, but, I'm glad I read them as I was reviewing the book. Nate is a hoot of a character, I believe.


© 2017 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: