Sunday, July 02, 2017

Extremely Cute Animals Operating Heavy Machinery

Extremely Cute Animals Operating Heavy Machinery. David Gordon. 2016. 48 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: One beautiful summer day, Karen, an extremely cute animal, was the playground, making a sand castle....Skyler appeared out of nowhere.

Premise/plot: This picture book is about playground bullies. Karen and her extremely cute friends are bullied--repeatedly--by Skyler, Mike, and Trent. Karen and her friends--mainly girls, I believe, though it's hard to tell--never give up, never surrender. As the bullying progresses, they get MAD. And when they get mad, they prepare to operate HEAVY machinery. They ultimately end up building an amusement park on the playground--instead of a sandcastle in the sandbox.

My thoughts: I picked it up because of the title. I suppose that books about bullying are needed. And I suppose that books about bullies can be entertaining at the same time. But I'm not sure this one is. I didn't like the language in this one (stupid, butts); the message is appropriate, but, the language while realistic perhaps might be deemed inappropriate by some families and even some classrooms. (I know there are words that you are not allowed to say at school.) Overall, I was disappointed with this one.

Text: 2 out of 5
Illustrations: 2 out of 5
Total: 4 out of 10

© 2017 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: