Thursday, June 01, 2017

All Our Yesterdays

All Our Yesterdays. Jason Quinn. 2017. 150 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: The Beatles. John, Paul, George and Ringo. Four lads from Liverpool whose sound shook the world...This is their story!

Premise/plot: Love graphic novels? Love The Beatles? Love nonfiction? Have I got a book for you! The Beatles: All Our Yesterdays is a nonfiction graphic novel (for teens). The first few pages and the last few pages cover vast spans of time! Most of this graphic novel focuses on the years 1956-1962. If you exclude the epilogue which takes you from 1963-2016, the book ends with the release of their very first single, "Love Me Do."

My thoughts: The intended teen audience was not born when the Beatles Anthology documentary was released in 1995. So chances are unless their parents--or grandparents--were HUGE Beatles fans, the intended audience has not seen--has not heard--the story of how the Beatles became THE BEATLES. At least not with a rich quality of details. I was a Senior in high school in November 1995, and, I remember that week VERY well. It was MAGIC. I want to say that I rewatched the Beatles Anthology in the summer of 2016--or was it 2015?! Anyway, the details were very fresh in my mind. (I've also read at least three or four adult biographies). I did not personally learn anything new in this one. The story within this graphic novel was familiar to me. But it was FUN to see this story retold this way. I would definitely recommend. As far as content goes, it's THE BEATLES. So don't expect anything to be squeaky clean.
© 2017 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

2 comments:

Pancake Mike said...

Hello, I am working for Caiman Haiti Foundation, we are a non profit organization that is working to help the Haiti people. Right now, we are looking for additional fund so we have created a book wherein the proceeds will be used for this purpose. You can download it here: https://www.amazon.com/Patriotic-Man-Living-Aboard-Gabriel-ebook/dp/B06ZYQW8GX

Joy Weese Moll said...

What a fun take on this topic. It's great to think that it will give modern tweens and teens access to the music through the story of the musicians.