Tuesday, May 23, 2017

What's On Your Nightstand (May)


The folks at 5 Minutes For Books host What’s On Your Nightstand? the fourth Tuesday of each month in which we can share about the books we have been reading and/or plan to read.
Reformation Heritage Study Bible--KJV. Edited by  Joel R. Beeke, Gerald Bilkes, and Michael Barrett. 2014. Reformation Heritage Books. 2218 pages. [Source: Birthday Gift in 2014]

Ginger is helping me out once again in introducing my newest Bible reading project. This is my fourth Bible to select as project this year. I am LOVING it.

Basic Christianity. John Stott. 1958. 179 pages. [Source: Bought]

This is one of the books I read while drinking tea. I am making good and steady progress, so I'm hoping to finish it this week. 

Dawn's Early Light. Elswyth Thane. 1934/2017. Chicago Review Press. 336 pages. [Source: Review copy]

I am really excited to start this series. I've only read the last in the series (Williamsburg is the name of the series), and that was in high school--twenty-something years ago. (It was the only one in the series the school library had.)

Blood, Bullets, and Bones: The story of Forensic Science from Sherlock Holmes to DNA. Bridget Heos. 2016. 263 pages. [Source: Library]

 Each chapter tackles a different element or aspect of forensic science. Within each chapter there are dozens of true crime stories--mostly historical, but some contemporary. I am finding it fascinating!

The Portrait of a Lady. Henry James. 1881. 640 pages. [Source: Bought]

 It had me at hello. Literally.
Under certain circumstances there are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea.
 44 Scotland Street. Alexander McCall Smith. 2005. 325 pages. [Source: Library]

Started this last night. I am really enjoying it so far.

An Exposition of Psalm 119. Thomas Manton. 2025 pages. [Source: Bought]

Still enjoying this one. I have slowed down some, I admit. But I have every intention of finishing this one this year.

Matthew: All Authority in Heaven and On Earth. Douglas Sean O'Donnell. 2013. 1090 pages. [Source: Bought]
 This is a Bible commentary, and I'm to the part where he's explaining Matthew 25. So maybe I'll finish early-to-mid June!





© 2017 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

2 comments:

Monica said...

Portrait of a Lady has been on my list for a very long time! You are involved in some very interesting reads! Also some new challenges going on this year! :) Good to visit you again. I've been gone for several months but am among the bloggers again! :)

Alyssa Nelson said...

This is a great collection of books! I've been meaning to read more Alexander McCall Smith -- hope you enjoy!