Thursday, April 27, 2017

Can You Guess My Name?

Can You Guess My Name? Traditional Tales Around the World. Judy Sierra. Illustrated by Stefano Vitale. 2002. 128 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence from the introduction: Many of the world's folktales resemble one another in surprising ways, as anyone who hears them or reads them soon discovers.

Premise/plot: Judy Sierra has collected fifteen folktales from around the world. There are five sections (with three stories apiece): "I'll Blow Your House In!" "Just the Right Friends," "Can You Guess My Name?" "I Married a Frog," and "The Scary House in The Woods."

My thoughts: I enjoyed reading this book very much. While I can't say that I loved each story and each section equally, what I loved I really LOVED. My favorite story, without a doubt, was "The Three Geese" (Italy). IN a way, it reads like The Three Little Pigs, but, it stars geese not pigs. And it ends with a fabulous line: "and there they ate macaroni and lived happily." Another story I enjoyed was "Medio Pollito" (Argentina).
© 2017 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: