Thursday, June 02, 2016

Barnacle is Bored

Barnacle is Bored. Jonathan Fenske. 2016. Scholastic. 40 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: I am bored. Bored. Bored. BORED. Every day is the same. The tide comes IN. I am wet and cold. The tide goes OUT. I am dry and hot.

Premise/plot: Barnacle is BORED. Barnacle is full of complaints. Nothing suits. Until...Barnacle realizes something important about life...

My thoughts: I liked this one. I did. I may not have loved, loved, loved it. But I solidly liked it. It is an ocean-themed book about attitude and perspective, about gratitude. Barnacle is not grateful...at all. But by the end of the story, something has changed...for the better.

The first time I read this one, I wasn't overly impressed with the illustrations. They didn't do much for me. Dare I say they bored me?! But after the second or third time around I had come to appreciate them. I found the illustrations could be quite expressive. I love the grinning look of relief on Barnacle when he's NOT eaten.

I appreciate the fact that this is a book that allows for a lot of expression in the reading. I think it's a great choice to share with little ones. They may just ask for it again and again and again and again. Especially if you add in some effects!

Text: 5 out of 5
Illustrations: 4 out of 5
Total: 9 out of 10
© 2016 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: