Tuesday, December 01, 2015

The Wind in the Willows

The Wind in the Willows. Kenneth Grahame. Illustrated by David Roberts. 1907/1983. Simon & Schuster. 244 pages. [Source: Library]
I loved, loved, loved rereading The Wind in the Willows. I wasn't exactly planning on rereading it this year. I wasn't. But. I was looking for a good audio book to check out from the library. I saw Wind in the Willows on the shelf; I checked it out. I listened to it. That could have been the end of it. But, of course, it wasn't. I had to read it too. I just had to. I could no more resist rereading the book than Toad could resist driving an automobile.

What do I love about the book? Well, many things. I love the characters. I love, love, love the relationships between the characters. And the adventures!!! Plenty happens in this one! Does Toad deserve all that he gets? Maybe, maybe not. But Toad is, without a doubt, unforgettable!!!

The edition I read had illustrations from Ernest H. Shepard. The illustrations were great: some were in color, others were in black and white. They made a great book seem even greater.

Would I be hosting the Edwardian Reading Challenge if it wasn't for me "having" to read The Wind in the Willows right NOW? I'm not sure. But I'm so glad I followed my heart!!!

My favorite quote:
"What are we to do with him?" asked the Mole of the Water Rat.
"Nothing at all," replied the Rat firmly. "Because there is really nothing to be done. You see, I know him from old. He is now possessed. He has got a new craze, and it always takes him that way, in its first stage. He'll continue like that for days now, like an animal walking in a happy dream, quite useless for all practical purposes. Never mind him."

© 2015 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

4 comments:

Lois Tinúviel said...

I am with you on this book! I re-read it last year and I just fell in love with it all over again! It's so beautifully written and yes the friendships are the best! :)

Rebecca Reads said...

Thanks for bringing this classic back to our attention. I read it first in high school, not as a younger child. It's full of loving descriptions of the natural world, and a pervading sense of intimacy and contentment.
Ratty is I think especially content, "messing around with boats." It's like watching a dog chew a bone: get the most out of life's simple pleasures. Nourish yourself on nature. Great messages. Similar in some ways is the great Watership Down by Richard Adams.I'll keep following.
On twitter: Rebecca Reads@dallestelle, editor at Attentive Transcription and Editing.

Sim Carter said...

I remember my mother reading this to me when I was a child!

Joy Weese Moll (@joyweesemoll) said...

I somehow missed this as a child and still haven't managed to read it!