Sunday, February 22, 2015

Revisiting On the Banks of Plum Creek (1937)

On the Banks of Plum Creek. Laura Ingalls Wilder. 1937. 340 pages. [Source: Library]

I love Laura Ingalls Wilder's Little House series. I do. And On the Banks of Plum Creek, while not my absolute favorite--that would be The Long Winter or possibly These Happy Golden Years--is worth rereading every few years. One thing I hadn't noticed until this last reread is that the Ingalls' family celebrates three Christmases in this one book!

Plenty of things happen in On The Banks of Plum Creek:
  • the family moves into a sod house
  • the family moves into a wooden house with real glass windows
  • the family gets oxen and horses
  • the girls start school
  • the family attends church
  • crops are planted and lost
  • Pa leaves the family behind twice to go in search of work
  • hard weather is endured
  • Laura gets in and out of trouble (she almost drowns in this one)
The book is enjoyable and satisfying. I love the illustrations by Garth Williams. I remember them just as well as I do the text itself.

© 2015 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

2 comments:

Amy @ Hope Is the Word said...

I love how you go back and revisit so many old favorites! :)

Barbara H. said...

I just finished The Long Winter a few days ago, and while it is not the most fun read, I love it for the endurance the family showed through that hard winter. They endure a lot through many of the books - my former pastor used to talk admiringly about people he called "pioneer stock," and that endurance is probably what he meant.

I do remember On the Banks of Plum Creek as being one where quite a lot happened. I enjoyed the girls' days in school the most, I think.

Thanks for participating in the LIW Challenge!