Monday, February 02, 2015

Little Author in the Big Woods

Little Author in the Big Woods. Yona Zeldis McDonough. 2014. Henry Holt. 176 pages. [Source: Library]

I expected to love this biography of Laura Ingalls Wilder. It did not disappoint even slightly. It is written for an audience ready to appreciate the Little House novels. That was a nice touch, I thought. For children who already love the original Little House books, this book is great for telling more of the whole story. Readers can see for themselves the similarities and differences between the books and her real life. There were details she left out or changed. There were periods of her life she didn't write about. Readers also get a fuller story for her whole life birth through death. Some details, of course, I'd read before, but, there were a handful of things that I'd not read before, or, that I don't remember reading before!

It is a quick read. It is an interesting read too! I love the subject, of course, I must have read the books dozens of times growing up. (Long Winter and These Happy Golden Years are my favorites in the series.) I also love the cute title of this one!!!

It is easy to recommend this one! It just says, read me! read me!

© 2015 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Lois Tinúviel said...

This sounds great! Like you, I probably re-read those books dozens of times growing up. I know that Laura's story differs from her books somewhat so I'd be interested to read this and see what all the changes are. :)