Sunday, June 01, 2014

Two 2014 Board Books

Honk, Honk! Baa, Baa! Petr Horacek. 2014. Candlewick. 16 pages. [Source: Review copy]

Hee-haw, hee-haw says the donkey.
Baa, baa says the sheep.
Oink, oink says the pig. 

Petr Horacek's Honk, Honk! Baa, Baa! is a very simple, very bright board book for young ones. Each page focuses on a farm animal and the sound it makes. This one offers a bit of a surprise at the end.

There are plenty of farm board books for little ones. This one has good illustrations. My personal favorite will probably always remain Dorothea Deprisco's Pig-a-Boo! A Farmyard Peekaboo book. Do YOU have a favorite?

Five Hungry Pandas. A Count and Crunch Book. Alexis Barad-Cutler. Illustrated by Kyle Poling. 2014. Scholastic. 10 pages. [Source: Review copy]

Chomp!
1 Hungry panda eats something yummy.
But 4 hungry pandas still need to fill their tummies!
Chew! Chew!
2 Hungry pandas pick something to munch.
But 3 hungry pandas still want their lunch!

I love this one. I love, love, love it. I love the problem solving, the counting. I love that it shows (some of) the ways to get to five. (1+4, 2+3, 3+2, 4+1) In a way, it's very simple, but, in another it's quite clever! It surprised me completely. I wasn't expecting to love it!

© 2014 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: