Sunday, October 13, 2013

Sophie's Squash (2013)

Sophie's Squash. Pat Zietlow Miller. Illustrated by Anne Wilsdorf. 2013. Random House. 40 pages. [Source: Review copy]

One bright fall day, Sophie chose a squash at the farmers' market. Her parents planned to serve it for supper, but Sophie had other ideas. It was just the right size to hold in her arms. Just the right size to bounce on her knee. Just the right size to love. "I'm glad we met," Sophie whispered. "Good friends are hard to find." 

 I loved, loved, loved this one! It is both unusual and practically perfect in every way. You almost have to read it yourself to get it, to understand just why it works, why it is so thoroughly charming. I'm sure this review won't be able to do it justice!

At its simplest, it is the story of a girl who has a squash for a best friend. But, because of the way the story is told, the way it unfolds, it seems PERFECT. The writing is brilliant. For example,
When it was time to make supper, Sophie's mother looked at the squash. She looked at Sophie. "I call her Bernice," Sophie said. "I'll call for a pizza," said her mother. After that, Bernice went everywhere with Sophie. To story time at the library. To visit other squash at the farmers' market. To practice somersaults by the garden.
I also love the line, "Well, we did hope she'd love vegetables..."

A word or two about the illustrations. While, I don't "love, love, love" the illustrations, after reading and rereading this one, I will say this: I can't imagine the story with different illustrations. So even though I don't "love" this style of illustration on its own, it somehow works well with *this* story, it is part of the magic.

Definitely recommended.

Text: 5 out 5
Illustrations: 4 out of 5
Total: 9 out of 10

© 2013 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: