Sunday, September 05, 2010

Sunday Salon: Reading, Read, To Read #36


Happy Sunday! It's September! It's time for Carl's RIP challenge--his fifth, my fourth--and that always excites me! In my first year participating, I read some great books and discovered some new authors. Like H.G. Wells ( The Island of Dr. Moreau, Invisible Man, The War of the Worlds, The First Men in the Moon, The Food of the Gods,) and Ray Bradbury (Something Wicked This Way Comes, The Martian Chronicles)! And Thirteenth Tale and Dracula! In my second year, I loved The Mysteries of Udolpho and Jane Eyre. In my third year, I read one of the most wonderfully incredible novels I've ever read: The Ask and the Answer by Patrick Ness. If you haven't read his Chaos Walking trilogy, now would be a great chance to pick it up!

I'm hoping to read a blend of young adult and adult titles this year. Including some classics. I'd love to read some Wilkie Collins. And perhaps another Ann Radcliffe.

The other fall challenge, I've always participated in is Callapidder Days' Fall into Reading, which doesn't begin until September 22nd. But. It's never too early to start writing your list!

What I've Reviewed This Week:

Wildflowers of Terezin. Robert Elmer. 2010. Abingdon Press. 352 pages.
Jane Slayre. Charlotte Bronte and Sherri Browning Erwin. 2010. Simon & Schuster. 396 pages.
Jane Eyre The Graphic Novel: Original Text. Charlotte Bronte. 2009. Classical Comics. 144 pages.
The Adventures of Nanny Piggins. R.A. Spratt. Illustrated by Dan Santat. Little Brown. 239 pages.
The Viper's Nest. (The 39 Clues #7). Peter Lerangis. 2010. Scholastic. 190 pages.
Frankenstein The Graphic Novel: Original Text. Mary Shelley. 2008. Script Adaptation by Jason Cobley, American English Adaptation: Joe Sutcliff Sanders. Illustrations by Declan Shalvey, Jason Cardy & Kat Nicholson, etc. Classical Comics. 144 pages.
Have You Ever Tickled A Tiger? Betsy E. Snyder. 2009. Random House. 14 pages.
Pig-a-Boo! A Farmyard Peekaboo Book. Dorothea DePrisco. Illustrated by Treesha Runnells.
In the Wild. David Elliott. Illustrated by Holly Meade. 2010. Candlewick Press. 32 pages.

Coming Soon:


Wench. Dolen Perins-Valdez. 2010. HarperCollins. 293 pages.



The Fantastic Secret of Owen Jester. Barbara O'Connor. 2010. August 2010. FSG. 176 pages.

Currently Reading:


The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins. 1868. 544 pages.


Revelations. Melissa de la Cruz. 2008. Hyperion. 272 pages.


Prophecy of the Sisters by Michelle Zink. 2009. Little Brown. 352 pages.


Faithful. Janet Fox. 2010. Penguin. 336 pages.


More Than Words by Judith Miller. 2010. Bethany House. 368 pages.


© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I liked Wench a lot. Moonstone is on my list as well.

I am embarrassed that I haven't even begun anything for Carl's Challenge. Better get too it soon (only 7 weeks left) LOL

Have a great week Becky; hope life has been good to you!