Thursday, January 28, 2010

2001 A Space Odyssey


2001 A Space Odyssey. By Arthur C. Clarke. 1968. Penguin. 320 pages.

The drought had lasted now for ten million years, and the reign of the terrible lizards had long since ended.

I'm not quite sure what to say, what to share about this one. This is my first Arthur C. Clarke novel. And I am glad I read it. But. I also found it a bit confusing in places. I found it hard to connect with in some ways. Most of the novel concerns David Bowman and his life aboard the Discovery. As his ship--mostly controlled by the computer Hal--heads towards Saturn. Things don't go according to plan--Bowman's plan that is. And not quite according to Earth's plans either. Knowing that rescue or return is futile, Bowman sets out to explore to the last.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

2 comments:

Jenners said...

This is very confusing ... you should see the movie. It will do nothing to clear it up!!! I read this and saw the movie when I was very young with my dad and I was so confused. But I love love love the movie even if I didn't totally get it. It was very "fashion forward" for the time, and the soundtrack is amazing. You should definitely watch the movie since you read the book!

Francisco Guillermo said...

The part about the Hal trying to kill every body in the ship was interesting, but the description of space was what made me really get in to the book; it was all about the context more than the story for my self.