Sunday, June 14, 2009

Sunday Salon: Reading, Read, To Read #24


Happy Sunday everyone! I had a few things to mention, let's hope I can remember them all by the time I hit publish ;) First of all, I wanted to bring your attention to this week's weekly geek. I'm asking my readers to ask me questions about some of the books I've read recently. These questions will be answered in forthcoming reviews! I love this concept, but it takes some feedback from YOU to work. And I would really appreciate it.

Speaking of feedback, I have a question for readers who subscribe to the blog via email. I get alerts every time someone unsubscribes, and often the reason listed is too many updates. Since I'm not willing to blog less, I'm asking you for feedback on the email newsletter. I'm somewhat limited on options, but these are what I've got: newsletters sent nightly, newsletters sent weekly (involves me choosing a day of the week), newsletters sent once a month (involves me picking a day of the month). I've also got the "twelve hour" option. But since this would mean even more newsletters, it's probably not going to be the winner. So I've got a poll up in the corner. I'll leave it open for a week at least if not longer. So if you've got an opinion, please vote.

Do you like watching black and white movies? I love a good classic. I do. This weekend I was ECSTATIC when People Will Talk (1951) arrived. I saw it on PBS a couple of weekends ago--back in May. And I knew that I had to have it. (I might have been tempted by Amazon's latest sale.) This movie stars Cary Grant and Jeanne Crain. And it's delightfully witty. I have so many favorite parts--great lines, great scenes. And the characters, I love them all! It's about a miracle-worker doctor named Noah Praetorius. And if you haven't seen it, I really can't recommend it highly enough! You can hear some clips here. You can get a taste of the film on YouTube. Embedded below is part five. I must admit I'm partial to this scene where he's leading the orchestra :) But it's also a nice introduction to what the film is about.



Here's another great bit.

What I read in a previous week, but reviewed this week:

The Summoning. Kelley Armstrong. 2008. HarperCollins. 390 pages.
When the Whistle Blows by Fran Cannon Slayton. 2009. Penguin. 162 pages.
Body of Christopher Creed. Carol Plum-Ucci. 2000. Hyperion. 331 pages.
Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen. 2009. Viking (Penguin) 400 pages.
The House in Grosvenor Square by Linore Rose Burkard. 2009. Harvest House. 338 pages.
The Painter From Shanghai by Jennifer Cody Epstein. 2008. 416 pages.

What I read this past week and reviewed:

The Dunderheads by Paul Fleischman. 2009. Candlewick.
When I Grow Up. Leonid Gore. 2009. Scholastic.
My Dad and Me by Alyssa Satin Capucilli. 2009. Simon & Schuster.
When Papa Comes Home Tonight. 2009. Simon & Schuster
Tonka Phonics Reading Program (12 Mini-Books, Flashcards) 2007. Scholastic
Tyndale's New Testament. 1534. Translated by William Tyndale.
Emily Climbs by L.M. Montgomery. 1925. 325 pages.
Emily's Quest by L.M. Montgomery. 1927. 228 pages.

What I read this past week and haven't reviewed yet:

A Bride in the Bargain by Deeanne Gist. 2009. Bethany House. 365 pages.
A Tangled Web by L.M. Montgomery. 1931. 257 pages.
The City In the Lake. Rachel Neumeier. 2008. Knopf (Random House) 294 pages.
Ghost Town by Richard W. Jennings. 2009. Houghton Mifflin. 165 pages.
The Disappearance of God: Dangerous Beliefs in the New Spiritual Openness by R. Albert Mohler Jr. 2009. Multnomah. 194 pages.
Middlemarch by George Eliot. Bantam Classics. 1871/1872. 795 pages.

What I've read and really really need to review:

Darkwood by M.E. Breen. 2009. Bloomsbury. 273 pages.

What I'm currently reading:

Pretty Monsters by Kelly Link
Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Eyes Wide Open by Jud Wilhite
Margaret Mitchell & John Marsh: The Love Story Behind Gone With The Wind. Marianne Walker.

What I'm just fooling around that I'm reading:

Cleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran
Barchester Towers by Anthony Trollope
Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck

What I've abandoned: 1

??? by ???

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

5 comments:

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

What did you abandon? Curious.

You are trying some great ones...GWTW and Grapes of Wrath are on my all-time favorite reads list.

Melissa O. said...

You know, I might have to go back and watch People Will Talk again. I am pretty sure I have seen this but I can't remember much about it to save my life! I'm a HUGE Cary Grant fan so it will be fun to watch this one again :-) Have you seen His Girl Friday? It's one of my favorite Cary Grant films.

Anonymous said...

You've had a great week of reading!
I'm curious too about what you abandoned :)

gautami tripathy said...

I do watch Black and white movies a lot!

TSS: Lets talk about books and related suff

mee said...

Did you re-read Gone With the Wind or read for the first time? I thought you've read everything! :) I'm thinking to read that too soon.