Friday, June 05, 2009

Library Loot: First Week in June

I'm typing this up while happily listening to the Seven Brides for Seven Brothers soundtrack. It's been in my head since my friend, Julie, mentioned that the auditions for the (local) musical start this weekend.

I went a little crazy at the library. At least compared to the last trip...
and it's the kind of 'crazy' that will either be crazy good or crazy bad. I took a chance on a lot of new authors. Well, new-to-me authors.

What did I get? A little bit of everything:

Absalom, Absalom by William Faulkner
The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner
As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner

Confession: I've never ever read Faulkner. Never even tried to read Faulkner. I've always been rather intimidated by him actually. Even more so than I was of Steinbeck. But since I was brave and ventured forth and tried Steinbeck earlier this year, I thought I could give Faulkner a try too. If I don't like him, nothing lost. I don't have to finish even one. But if I do like him, then I will have gained something.

The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck (large print)

For the record, I do own a copy of Grapes of Wrath. A copy I picked up for a little under a $1. But the print is teeny tiny. And its pages are a questionable color. So I chose to check this copy out.

The Collected Stories of Eudora Welty

I *think* I might have read one or two stories of Eudora Welty back in my college days. But it's been at least twelve years. So I can't say for sure. And I've definitely never tackled all of them. Can you tell I'm trying to give myself some choices for the Southern Reading Challenge?

The Wedding by Dorothy West

This is completely an impulse choice. I saw the title and got a flashback of watching the mini-series. (It's probably been close to ten years now.) I haven't thought of the movie or the book in ages. But I saw it and thought I'd give it a try.

Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein

I did like The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress. So I chose this one to give Heinlein another go.

Two Parties, One Tux, And A Very Short Film About The Grapes of Wrath by Steven Goldman.

I *think* Renay is responsible for this one. I'm not 100% But I know I saw it somewhere on a blog...if it's not her...I'm not sure who is to blame.

Castle in the Air by Diana Wynne Jones

The second I found out there was a sequel/companion novel to Howl's Moving Castle, I knew I *had* to get my hands on it.

A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr.

Not heard much about it. But I'm looking for titles to read for my It's The End of the World Challenge.

Doomsday Book by Connie Willis.

(See above with one minor exception...I've seen this one pop up on blogs I love. (Like Semicolon and Fyrefly)

Fried Green Tomatoes at The Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg.

A possibility for the Southern Reading Challenge.

To Be A Slave by Julius Lester.

Curious about this one. I've read some Lester before, but not this one.

Dull Boy by Sarah Cross.

I've seen this one pop up on several blogs and it looked good.

The roundup is either at Out of the Blue or A Striped Armchair.


© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVED The Sound and the Fury, though it helps to read alongside a Cliff Notes or something. I hated Castle in the Air (thought it was too cliched compared to the originality of Howl's Moving Castle), but the next sequel after it, House of Many Ways, is absolutely wonderful.

Good haul! I'm going to have to do a LL post myself.

- Anastasia

Melissa Ward said...

Congrats on starting Faulkner! I would start with As I Lay Dying (the switches between narrators are more defined), the Abasalom, Absalom and finish up with The Sound and the Fury. Google around and see if there are plot outlines, etc. on the web (Sparknotes is free to read on the web. Faulkner is one to read slowly. :)

Canticle for Leibowitz is lovely; chilling, but lovely.

Kailana said...

Lots of good stuff there. I hope you enjoy them!

Eva said...

Better you than me with the Faulkner! Although actually I really like his short stories. :)