Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Library Loot, Week 4, February 4


Library Loot is a weekly event co-hosted by Eva and Alessandra that encourages bloggers to share the books they’ve checked out from the library.

There was no leftover loot this time. I never finished Outlander--though I got close to a hundred pages. It just wasn't holding my interest. I found myself skimming page after page after page waiting for something good/fun/interesting to happen. And I then realized that wasn't the proper way to read a book. I mean, if I can't stay interested to read it word for word, paragraph by paragraph, then it's just not for me...at the moment. Who knows I may go back a year from now and just love it. I also returned 2666. I read the first book of this monster-book. The book was in five sections. The author (supposedly) intended to have five separate books, but then he up and died and so here they are all in one. I suppose it was vaguely interesting. But it was a book about nothing. I mean the perfect example of literary fiction--a book in love with itself who takes great delight in using five pages to say what could have been said in three sentences. And who really has time for a book like that?

New Loot:

  1. The Louis Armstrong You Never Knew by James Lincoln Collier
  2. A Horn for Louis by Eric Kimmel
  3. If I Only Had A Horn: Young Louis Armstrong by Roxanne Orgill
  4. Charlie Parker played be-bop
  5. Ella Fitzgerald The Tale of a Vocal Virtuosa by Andrea Davis Pinkney
  6. Duke Ellington by Andrea Davis Pinkney
  7. Piano Starts Here: The Young Art Tatum
  8. Jazz by Walter Dean Myers
  9. Rent Party Jazz by William Miller
  10. This Jazz Man by Karen Ehrhardt
  11. Ellington Was Not a Street by Ntozake Shange
  12. Jazz on a Saturday Night by Leo and Diane Dillon
  13. Dizzy by Jonah Winter
  14. Jazz A-B-Z by Wynton Marsalis and Paul Rogers
  15. He's Got The Whole World In His Hands by Kadir Nelson
  16. The Secret Bride by Diane Haeger
  17. The Convenient Groom by Denise Hunter
  18. Alfred and Emily by Doris Lessing

Three are novels. The rest are picture books or early chapter books. The three novels were spontaneous choices. The rest were duly planned and listed before I left the house. Can you guess my theme? I have something BIG planned for next week. (It partly involves library books, but I've got some from my own collection to add to the mix.) I can't decide if it will be a one week event or a two week one. I am super-excited about it. I hope you will be too.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

9 comments:

claire said...

I love jazz! Wonder what you are up to.. :)

Molly said...

I am very intrigued and am anxious to hear your idea next week!

samantha.1020 said...

Sounds like you picked up some good books. I'll be interested to see what you are doing as well :)

Eva said...

I'm in the middle of watching a Jazz documentary!

Michelle Fluttering Butterflies said...

Ooh, very jazzy! I'm intrigued.

Marg said...

As an Outlander fan from way back, I do hope that you will pick it up again and keep going with it. There was a point, a bit further on from where you got up to, where it just becomes an unputdownable book!

Sandra said...

You've got some great music books there. I'm reading books with references to music in the titles (athough not that specific) for the Themed Reading Challenge. I wonder what you're up to? Happy reading.

Stacy said...

Louis is the man...can't wait to see what you have planned:)

Debi said...

Can't wait to see what you're up to!