Saturday, February 21, 2009

The Banishment


Chesney, Marion. 1996. The Banishment.

The Banishment is a Regency romance novel--smut-free--that is delightful in an unpretentious way. Perhaps not the best book in the world--Chesney is no Jane Austen or Georgette Heyer--but it is a fun, light read. If it has a flaw it is that it tells more than shows. The heroine of The Banishment is Isabella Beverley. She is the oldest daughter; she's been raised with wealth and prestige. But--and there are always buts in books--all that changes when her father gambles away the family home, Mannerling, and the family is humbled and humiliated. What's a girl to do? If her parents have any sway over their daughter, they'll try to arrange it that she marries the new owner, a Mr. Judd. No matter how untasteful, no matter how insane. But is that what she wants? Or is she maybe starting to realize just how wonderful Lord Fitzpatrick, an Irish viscount, really is?
© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews
If you're reading this post on another site, or another feed, the content has been stolen.

3 comments:

samantha.1020 said...

This sounds interesting! I recently finished a Georgette Heyer book and loved it so I'll have to give this one a try.

Melissa O. said...

Oooh, I love Regencies!! Georgette Heyer is my all-time favorite--sorry Ms. Austen--and I own every one of her Regencies. I also like Clare Darcy, though she's not in a Heyer/Austen class, either. I'll have to check this one out. Thanks for the review!!

Linore Rose Burkard said...

I, too, love Heyer and Austen, and I have read many of Chesney's, but not this one. Sometimes Chesney's characters are funny, but often they get a little too mean for my taste.
Since you enjoy regencies and Austen, however, I have to let you know about the free pdfs on my website that you can get--and you don't even have to sign up for anything. (You might want to, but you don't have to! :) )
Anyway, I love the regency and I love sharing what I learn with readers: So go ahead to my readers' resources page and download whatever you like.
http://www.LinoreBurkard.com/resources.html

Enjoy!
Linore

(Regency romance author)