Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Library Loot: Week 2, January 14th


To read other Library Loot posts for the week visit Eva. I kept two of the eight books I'd checked out last week.

Leftover Loot: Dune by Frank Herbert and The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers.

New Loot:
#1 Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve
#2 Predator's Gold by Philip Reeve
#3 Infernal Devices by Philip Reeve
#4 A Darkling Plain by Philip Reeve
#5 Beneath by Mother's Feet by Amjed Qamar
#6 Clementine's Letter by Sara Pennypacker
#7 Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

The Philip Reeve's...let's see...they were there all lined up...that's not a good reason, huh? Well, I suppose oddly enough that it was the fourth in the series that called to me A Darkling Plain. Then I noticed it was a series book. Then I noticed that they were all there. And I took it as a sign that I should check them out. My only experience with his work in the past are the two books Larklight and Starcross. But these looked irresistible at the time. And it helped that my bag only had one book at the time.

Outlander. I guess I was aware that there was a challenge going on to read this series. And as soon as I found out it had time travel in it I was intrigued. I knew I had to at least read the first book in the series to see if it was for me or not.

#5 The primary reason I checked this one out was the author's name begins with a Q. Can you tell I'm part of the A to Z challenge? But when I got home I realized it would also work for the Well-Seasoned challenge since it's about another culture.

#6 I've been looking for this one for months and months and months. Why oh why oh why doesn't Hyperion get in touch with me and beg me to review their books? Why? Anyway, enough of the shameless whining. :) I'm excited that the library FINALLY got in a copy of this one.


© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

7 comments:

Debi said...

Hyperion doesn't know what they're missing, Becky!!! Seriously, I wonder how many books are bought on a daily basis thanks to you and your reviews!

Unknown said...

The Mortal Engines books are fantastic reads, I've loved all of them, and they have one of the most attention grabbing opening lines, I've ever read.

Sandra said...

The Qamar and the Pennypacker books sound good to me. I watch for your thoughts on them. Happy reading.

CK said...

I have heard the Outlander series is great - it's on my LOOOOONG "to-read" list. Let me know what you think!

Michelle Fluttering Butterflies said...

I really like Mortal Engines and Predator's Gold but lost interest in the series halfway through Infernal Devices.

samantha.1020 said...

These look good Becky! I really want to read Outlander so I will be looking forward to your thoughts on that one.

Melissa said...

Meant to do this the other day: hope you enjoy Clementine; I liked it, but I haven't read the other two. C liked it, but not as much as the other two.

Oh, and M thanks you. I told her you LOVED The Legend of the Wandering King, so she pulled it off the pile first. And LOVED it. Adored it. So, thank you.