Friday, October 03, 2008

Really Old Classics Challenge


I am joining another challenge. The Really Old Classics Challenge. One that will go well with my own future-2009-challenge which I haven't quite published yet. (You can get a sneak peek here.) This one is hosted by the fabulous Rebecca of Rebecca Reads. (Sign up on this post, post review links at this one.) The rules of this one are simple. Each participant decides for herself (or himself) how many "really old" books they want to read before July 31, 2009. Any number will do. There doesn't have to be a list. The only guidelines are a fuzzy pre-1600 marker. (Which I believe we're allowed to stretch a bit when the need arises.)

Here are the books I'm considering reading. (Though by NO means do I even pretend to think I could finish them all. I'd be happy finishing ONE or maybe TWO.)

The Wycliffe New Testament (1388). I own this one. (And I love what I've read so far. I've read Matthew. And I'm partly through Mark.) I love, love, love the language.

The Tyndale New Testament (1530s). I own this one as well. And I've read *some* of it. Again, I think I've read at least a gospel already. And I love the feel of this one.

But is it likely that I'll finish reading the New Testament twice by July 2009? Probably not. But I'd be happy to get some reading in each of these done.

Don Quixote de la Mancha (1605, 1615). This one is 1280 pages. I would *love* to read this at some point. And I'm hoping to get to it in 2009.

I might (make that highly unlikely) try to get to The Divine Comedy as well. But we'll just have to see how it goes.



© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Rebecca Reid said...

All of them sound great! I'd love to hear about the different translations of the New Testament! And I'm going to try to read Don Quijote at some point in the next year too, I think.