Sunday, June 29, 2008

Life Books Challenge


Life Books Challenge
Host: SmallWorld Reads
Dates: Now - September 30, 2008
Books Required: 2

Part I: Choose Your Life Books
What are the books that, in some aspect, define you? Think about who you are in terms of spirituality, love, economics, values, worldview--the list could go on and on. These might be nonfiction, self-help, fiction, picture books, children's books, etc. Give us your life in books. To see my example, click here. After you've picked your life books, write a post and leave the link on Mr. Linky. Be sure to copy and paste the button above on your blog somewhere!

Part II: Discover Something New
Check out the blogs of other participants and find at least two titles to add to your TBR list. Let us know what books you are adding by linking a second time to Mr. Linky with (Something New) by your name.

Part III: Read the Books
When you've read the new books, write a review and leave a link to your post in the comments here.


__________________Becky's Life Books________________

Christianity

The Bible

Knowing God by J.I. Packer
How You Can Be Sure You Will Spend Eternity with God by Erwin Lutzer
Putting Amazing Back Into Grace by Michael Horton
Chosen By God by R.C. Sproul
Hard To Believe by John MacArthur
10 Lies About God And How You May Already Be Deceived by Erwin Lutzer
Why One Way? by John MacArthur

Picture Books

Umbrella by Taro Yashima
Corduroy by Don Freeman
Just For You by Mercer Mayer
More More More Said the Baby by Vera B. Williams
Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst
The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn

Children's Books

Ramona the Pest by Beverly Cleary
The World of Pooh (Winnie the Pooh and House at Pooh Corner) by A.A. Milne
Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis

Adult Nonfiction Books

The Read-Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease
How To Get Your Child to Love Reading by Esme Raji Codell
Reading Magic: Why Reading Aloud to Our Children Will Change Their Lives Forever by Mem Fox
The Girl with the White Flag by Tomiko Higa

Adult Fiction Books

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Now for some explanations:

The Christian section. These are *somewhat* self-explanatory. The Bible I've been reading since 1986. And those nonfiction books are mostly theological in nature. I *love* theology. I'm not so much into the fluffy books. (No offense to the Lucado fans out there. But I want meat.)

The picture books. Umbrella is my favorite favorite favorite picture book. Corduroy and Just For You represent the special bonding and happy memories of mom and me. Just for You describes me perfectly too. I am and always will be Little Critter. More, More, More captures my infectious "again, again" nature. And my affectionate nature as well. Same with Kissing Hand. And Alexander and the Terrible Horrible No Good Very Bad Day...well, that one's obvious. We all have days we wish we could move to Australia.

Children's Books. I am Ramona. No doubt about it. Pooh. I've got to have Pooh. Pooh is the key to understanding life. Okay, maybe that's an exaggeration. But it does capture *so so so* much.
Alice. I love Alice and her crazy world. Just love her. Laura Ingalls Wilder. I wanted to be her. So she's got to be on the list. And Narnia. Oh how I love Narnia. These books definitely shaped my life.

Adult nonfiction. The reading books are great. Really great. And I feel "called" to connect people and books. So these three speak a lot about my passion when it comes to literacy and education and life. The Girl With The White Flag. War as seen through the eyes of a child. It definitely stuck with me. I could have put a dozen or more Holocaust books on the list. But I restrained myself.

Adult fiction. Ender because he's my favorite favorite favorite book. I've read it at least six times in the past eight years if not eight. And A Tree Grows in Brooklyn because Francie is so wonderfully bookishly me. Frankenstein because that book is all about the meaning of life. Seriously. It is about what it means to be human.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Becky! What a great list! I can't BELIEVE I forgot the Narnia books!! I think I'm going to have to go back and add those to my list. Narnia pretty much was my whole childhood.

Thanks for playing! Also, I loved what you said about needing meaty, not fluffy, theology books. I am with you on that.

jessi said...

That is a great list! I love Alice, Ramona, and Narnia, too. And Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day was one of my favorite books! I'm reading Ender's Game for another challenge (I think the Book Awards II challenge, and I'm really looking forward to it.