Thursday, May 29, 2008

BTT: What Is Reading Fundamentally?

btt button

Suggested by: Thisisnotabookclub

What is reading, anyway? Novels, comics, graphic novels, manga, e-books, audiobooks — which of these is reading these days? Are they all reading? Only some of them? What are your personal qualifications for something to be “reading” — why? If something isn’t reading, why not? Does it matter? Does it impact your desire to sample a source if you find out a premise you liked the sound of is in a format you don’t consider to be reading? Share your personal definition of reading, and how you came to have that stance.

I'm a flexible person in theory when it comes to defining reading. Reading technically speaking can be "reading" anything from newspapers, emails, instant messages, lists, blogs, etc.--to the more traditional types of reading--fiction, nonfiction, poetry, graphic novels, manga, e-books, audio books. I'm not one of those that say that audio books aren't real books. Let's say I read 300 books a year. (I probably read more...but let's just say that's what I read.) I may use audio books for about five or six of those three hundred. It seems like a minuscule amount in comparison. But I'm not one to judge them as *unworthy* of being books. Some people prefer them because it's more convenient. It gives them something to do while commuting to and from work. It gives them something to do while walking/jogging or getting exercise. iPods and other mp3 players make audio books more convenient than ever. Some people choose audio books because they *need* to, the same way people *need* large print books. I make a point of allowing audio books in all my challenges because I feel it is unfair to exclude them. They are a truly viable option when it comes to reading. Similarly, graphic novels aren't something I read much of. But I do think they are books and they do qualify as books. I also think wordless picture books qualify as reading. Illustrations aren't less important, less valuable than words. You still have to interpret or "read" meaning into it. You still have to piece it together into a cohesive whole.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

2 comments:

Sarah Miller said...

Pretty much all of the above. Reading is reading, whether you do it with your eyes, your ears, or your fingertips.

Reading is fiction and non-fiction; it's books, ebooks, audiobooks, newspapers, magazines, and articles online.

I'd quibble with you over email and instant messages, though -- to me that falls under the heading of "communication" rather than reading. (Just call me your friendly local hair-splitter.)

John (@bookdreamer) said...

Interesting reflections on the act of reading, I also tended to reflect on what is reading in my post