Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Peter and The Secret of Rundoon


Barry, Dave and Ridley Pearson. 2007. Peter and the Secret of Rundoon.

Peter and the Secret of the Rundoon is the conclusion in the Starcatchers trilogy by Barry and Pearson that first began with Peter and the Starcatchers and then brought us Peter and the Shadow Thieves. What can I say? Really? I love this series. I just do. I don't know if it's because Orson Scott Card told me I should back when the first novel released. Or if I would have eventually discovered the magic all on my own. But for a person who loves Peter Pan, who loves the idea of more Peter Pan--prequels and sequels and such--then this series is a must read.

Once again, our story is told through many perspectives--Molly and George, Molly's father, Leonard, Peter and Tinker Bell, of the other Lost Boys, Lord Ombra and the other villains most specifically the King of Rundoon, Captain Hook, Fighting Prawn and his daughter, Shining Pearl, of the Mollusk tribe on Mollusk island, the Scorpions, an invading native tribe, etc. Once again it is a story packed with loads of adventure, action, and suspense.

The last novel ended with the supposed death of Lord Ombra. But as the reader can plainly see, Ombra isn't dead, it will merely take him a bit of time to regroup and gain in strength and power. Peter is in danger. Ombra and the King of Rundoon are determined to have this orphan boy in their grasp. They want him--they want his power. But not only is Peter in danger...the whole world is in danger. For the secret plan of Ombra and his associates will doom the whole planet, the whole universe if it is carried out. Peter is soon kidnapped--along with his 'lost' companions and the self-important Captain Hook--and taken to Rundoon. Can Molly and her friends save Peter and save the world in time?

This is the book where it all comes together--where all the loose pieces are tied together connecting the trilogy with the original novel by J.M. Barrie. There is so much to love about it. I love the spunkiness and sarcasm of Tinker Bell, the courage and stubbornness of Peter, the independence and intelligence of Molly.

7 comments:

Suey said...

Wow the THIRD one is out now? I'm getting behind! I've only read the first.. which I loved...I need to get going on these!

Nikki in Niagara said...

I've been meaning to read this series and didn't even know the third book was out! Hopefully I can get to it soon. Glad to hear you enjoyed it so much.

Anonymous said...

I love this book, and no offense but Ombre is supposed to be spelled Ombra. I am on page 181 and so far I love this book!!!

Becky said...

Anonymous, thanks for correcting the spelling. I'd never take offense for something like that! I hope that's not why you chose to stay anonymous :)

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this book and all the others in the series! I'm a huge fan of Peter Pan and have read the original one by J.M. Barrie! If you haven't read it, you TOTALLY need to ! If you do read it, read the unabriged version! It's WAY better! Anyway, I LOVE this book! Tootles!

Anonymous said...

Dear Becky,
I have just finished the third book. I enjoyed it immensly! I havet told all of my friends about it and most of them have read the book and LOVED it!I love Peter Pan and fairy tales and this is the best seried I have ever read! I enjoyed your review and agree with everything you said. Thanks for the review.
- Kati Mo, 12 <3

Anonymous said...

I love the whole series and I just bought the fourth book and I am really excited about reading it!