Saturday, July 14, 2007

Meme Time

I found this one at The Hidden Side of A Leaf a great blog to lose yourself in if you've got the time.

A book you’ve read more than once:

Ender's game by Orson Scott Card

A book you would take on a desert island:

The Bible. 66 books in 1.

A book that made you cry:

The Notebook by Nicolas Sparks. Charlotte's Web. The list could be endless. I don't always cry with books, but at movies...sometimes I'm helplessly hopeless.

A book that scared you:

As a rule of thumb, I don't read scary books. I avoid the "horror" genre mostly. If I think a book will *scare* me, I don't read it. This book creeped me out though: The Love Curse of the Rumbaughs by Jack Gantos. But the reaction wasn't *fear* just great, great dislike.

A book that made you laugh out loud:

This one is easy. Anything Georgia Nicolson. I love Angus, Thongs, and Full Frontal Snogging. Love the whole series really. But for a lesser-known work, I really liked Anguished English and sequels by Richard Lederer.

A book that disgusted you:

Another easy one. This time I'd have to say Philippa Gregory's Wideacre. To be hailed as somewhat literary--with a bookclub reading guide and everything--it has a shocking amount of stuff: rape, murder, s&m fetishes, incest, just to name a few. How does a woman portrayed as having an ongoing sexual relationship with her brother (her full-brother, not a half-brother or step-brother) for years and years and years make fans out of the readers????

A book you loved in preschool:

Umbrella by Taro Yashima

A book you loved in elementary school:

The Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder.

A book you loved in middle school:

Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell

A book you loved in high school:

Anne series by L.M. Montgomery. I just loved, loved, loved Anne Shirley. Had a crush on Gilbert too.

A book you hated in high school:

Anything assigned by Mrs. Lippe. It's true. But if I had to pick just one, I'd probably go with Silas Marner.

A book you loved in college:

Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston.

A book that challenged your identity:

I'm not quite sure what the originator of this meme meant by "challenged" so I'll begin by saying what I think it means. If the question is what book has made you reflect/ponder/question/change your perception of yourself and how you see the world...I'd probably go with the Bible.

A series that you love:

I love too many series. I love Percy Jackson. I love the Chronicles of Narnia. I love Ramona. I love the Shadow Children series by Haddix. The Ender series by Card.

Your favorite horror book:
I don't read horror. But if Frankenstein counts as horror, then that would be my choice. I do love Frankenstein. I've read it probably three or four times.

Your favorite science fiction book:

Ender's Game. Really the whole Ender series. I love OSC.

Your favorite fantasy book:

I love the Bartimaeus trilogy by Jonathan Stroud. I love the Sisters Grimm series by Michael Buckley. I love the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis.

Your favorite mystery:

I don't like "mystery" mysteries. I don't like the typical murder mystery or crime-solving mystery. That's not my thing. I don't mind a little bit of mystery in other genres though. I like having puzzles to solve and holes to fill in with the plot. I just don't want there to be a dead body and suspects.

Your favorite biography:

The Cage by Ruth Minsky Sender. I love many Holocaust memoirs actually.

Your favorite classic:

I really love the Count of Monte Cristo by Dumas.

Your favorite romance book:

I love Julia Quinn. Love, love, love her. But my favorite is Romancing Mister Bridgerton. It is by Quinn. And it is in the middle of her Bridgerton series.

Your favorite book not on this list:

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

What book are you currently reading?

I am reading Esme Raji Codell's How To Get Your Child To Love Reading. It's more of a reference book I'm browsing. I am reading other books on the side. But I'm in-between novels at the moment.

What book have you been meaning to read:

I have a whole stack of them. There are the books authors and publishers have sent me that are waiting to be read. There is the stack of books from Christian publishers and authors that are waiting to be read. There are the books I've borrowed from Dr. Vardell for the Librarians' Choices class/group/project that are waiting to be read. And there are three or four library books waiting to be read. All are blog-related.

1 comment:

Dewey said...

Oh, I forgot about Laura Ingalls Wilder! I should have put her down for my elementary school love.