Saturday, July 28, 2007

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy


I honestly didn't know what to expect from this book. I didn't know if I'd love it or hate it. But it surprised me, I really did enjoy it. After hearing such awful awful things about the movie, I didn't have this one very high on my to read list until it started popping up in quiz results. First, the "Which Book Are You" quiz and then the "Which Sci-Fi Crew Are You" quiz. That definitely made me curious.

The book is the "story" of Arthur Dent and Ford Prefect and their 'hitchhiking' adventures in the galaxy following their escape from Earth moments before its destruction. Ford is an alien who has been stranded on Earth for over a decade. He originally came to Earth to update the entry on Earth for the widely popular book Hitchhiker's Guide To the Galaxy. Their adventures bring them face to face with some interesting people and in and out of dangerous and unique situations.

What makes this book great in my opinion...is the humor. It is just so fun to read from the very first page. It is written in a very unique, very funny narrative voice. I didn't always love the people and the places, but I always loved how the story was being told.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

I haven't read this one since I was a teenager when it was on my list of all-time favorite books. Though, my favorite part is in Restaurant At the End of the Universe, when the cow comes to introduce itself to Arthur. "Hello, I'll be your dinner tonight." Cracked me up.

And, while the movie has some moments of brilliance (the opening sequence is fabulous), it's not nearly as fun as the book. Though Alan Rickman does a perfect Marvin.

Becky said...

Melissa:

I can only imagine what my response would have been as a teen. If I love it now...I am sure I would have loved it even more back then!

Becky

P.S. I am featuring Hitchhiker quotes on my Reading With Becky site. They are pretty fun :)

Tristi Pinkston said...

I've heard this book mentioned a lot too -- if you like it, I'll give it a try.

Melissa said...

I forgot to say that it was a family thing in my house. We still say, when asked a question, that the answer is 42. It's just too perfect.