Thursday, March 29, 2007

Once Upon A Time Challenge

The Once Upon a Time Challenge will take place beginning Thursday, March 22nd (I’m late, per usual) and will end on Midsummer Night’s Eve, June 21st. It is a reading challenge to celebrate spring, the time of rebirth and renewal, by experiencing the type of storytelling that connects us with our past. This challenge originated on Stainless Steel Droppings There are several different quest options:

Quest One: Read at least 5 books from any of the 4 genres. This is set up more along the lines of the R.I.P. Challenge. Given the time frame it may not seem to be a big deal to commit to 5 books, but we all know how time, and reading, can get away from us.

Quest Two: Read at least one book from each of the four genres of story-Mythology, Folklore, Fairytale, and Fantasy.

Quest Three: Read at least one book from each of the four genres of story, and finish up the challenge with a June reading of Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream.

or

Quest Four: Read at least one book from the four genres. This is for those who don’t read much, or those who feel that this type of story is so far out of the realm of what they normally read that committing to anything beyond one story is asking too much.

I haven't decided which quest I'm going for...but here is my reading list...

1) Cupid by Julius Lester
2) Titan's Curse by Rick Riordan
3) Corydon & The Fall of Atlantis by Tobias Druitt
4) Nobody's Princess by Esther Friesner
5) Wildwood Dancing by Juliet Marillier

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think this is the first list where I have no idea about any of the books! Excellent - will have to go and look them up.

Well done on joining the challenge - look forward to reading your posts on the books!

Carl V. Anderson said...

So glad you decided to join in!!! Wildwood Dancing is a book I want to read simply because I love the Kinuko Y. Craft cover!

pat said...

I haven't heard of a single one of your books, so I'll be eager to read your reviews.