Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Antoinette

Antoinette. Kelly DiPucchio. Illustrated by Christian Robinson. 2017. 40 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: Mrs. Bulldog watched her puppies race through the yard. Rocky, Ricky, Bruno, and Antoinette. Here they come again! Rocky, Ricky, Bruno, and Antoinette. Busy, aren't they? And ridiculously cute, but please don't tell them that.

Premise/plot: Antoinette, the poodle puppy being raised in a family of bull-dogs, doesn't know what makes her special, what makes her unique. Mrs. Bulldog keeps assuring her that she is, but gives no specifics as to how or why. But when Antoinette's friend Ooh-La-La (Gaston's sister) goes missing, it is her turn to shine. This determined pup WILL find her friend no matter what...proving that she is brave, resourceful, persistent.

My thoughts: I enjoyed this one and Gaston. I read this one first actually. I enjoyed it so much I wanted to read Gaston as well. I like Gaston and Antoinette as a couple, and I like knowing that one day these two pups will have pups of their own to love and raise. I like the setting (France) and the sprinkling of French throughout the text. It's just a very fun book.

Text: 4 out of 5
Illustrations: 4 out of 5
Total: 8 out of 10

© 2017 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: