Friday, April 01, 2016

Catching Up on March Period Dramas

In March, I watched Persuasion, The Scarlet Pimpernel.

If you know me at all, you wouldn't bother asking me *which* adaptation of Persuasion I watched. Since most of you don't, I'll answer with "the one starring Amanda Root and Ciaran Hinds, of course!!!"

Persuasion is my favorite Austen novel. It is. Pride and Prejudice doesn't really stand a chance of being *my* favorite. Though there are lovely adaptations of it!

I love Anne. I love Captain Wentworth. I love that this adaptation gets it right!

The Scarlet Pimpernel. I've seen three adaptations of this, and enjoyed all of them. Perhaps I just lucked into watching them in the right order. Or perhaps I just really, really love this story?! This time I watched the movie starring Anthony Andrews and Jane Seymour. (Also a very, very young Ian McKellen.) The three adaptations are very different from one another. I like that in this adaptation we have a more straight-forward romance.



© 2016 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Catherine said...

The only version of the Scarlett Pimpernel I've seen is the musical, but I loved that! Will have to try the film :) And the Ciaran Hinds Persuasion is definitely the best. It's so underrated!!