Wednesday, January 01, 2014

The Real Boy (2013)

The Real Boy. Anne Ursu. 2013. HarperCollins. 341 pages. [Source: Library]

I absolutely LOVED Anne Ursu's The Real Boy. This fantasy novel was wonderfully charming. I definitely loved the characters. My favorite being Oscar and Callie, of course. I thought the world-building was wonderful. It was just different enough to be strange and delightful without being overwhelming. I liked discovering the differences between The Barrow and the city of Asteri too. I thought the premise was mysterious and compelling. Secrets. Lies. Monsters. Magic. There are so many reasons to recommend it, but, the most powerful reason of all is Oscar's narrative itself. I think Oscar alone should prove powerful enough to hook readers.

 © 2014 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

3 comments:

Kailana said...

I have heard good things about this. I am hoping to read it at some point!

Vasilly said...

I've been meaning to read this book for some time now. Unfortunately, none of the libraries around me have a copy. After reading your review, I may need to buy a copy.

Happy New Year.

Unknown said...

Great review may have to go and purchase this. X