Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The Name of the Star (YA)

The Name of the Star. Maureen Johnson. 2011. Penguin. 384 pages.

The eyes of London were watching Claire Jenkins. She didn't notice them, of course. No one paid attention to the cameras. It was an accepted fact that London has one of the most extensive CCTV systems in the world. 

Considering the genre, I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked this one. I wouldn't necessarily say I loved it. But. If you judge a book based on your need to finish it, then it was well worth it!

The heroine of The Name of the Star is Rory, a teen girl from Louisiana, who decides to give an English boarding school a try when her parents get an offer to go to Bristol for a year to teach American law. Rory chooses a London boarding school. She never could have predicted--who would have?!--the danger she'll face in that particular neighborhood. For around the time she arrives, there are a series of murders in the style of Jack the Ripper. The murderer is obviously duplicating almost every little thing about the murders, and so the murders follow a certain pattern, a certain schedule. But that doesn't make the neighborhood any "safer." As Rory learns when she catches a glimpse of the killer.

So The Name of the Star isn't quite my genre. It's a paranormal horror novel! And I still am not a fan of the genre. I'm not. It's just not the way I like to spend my time. But this novel kept me reading.

Read The Name of the Star
  • If you love ghost stories, OR I-can-speak-to-ghost stories
  • If you love horror novels or thrillers. This one isn't so much a mystery--although I suppose it has mystery in it--but it's more of a chasing novel where the heroine is at risk of becoming a victim than a detective novel with a mystery to solve. I prefer mysteries.
  • If you are interested in anything/everything Jack the Ripper
  • If you like stories with a boarding school setting



© 2012 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

4 comments:

Kailana said...

I started this last year but then I hit my reading slump. I need to try again!

Marg said...

I read this last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. I am looking forward to reading the next book in the series!

Pam (@iwriteinbooks) said...

Not really my genre either but I am about a third of the way into this, so far, and I do love it.

samantha.1020 said...

I read this one and really enjoyed it last year. I'm super excited to read the 2nd book whenever it comes out! Such a good read!