Friday, September 24, 2010

Poetry Friday: Guyku: A Year of Haiku for Boys


Guyku. Bob Raczka. Illustrated by Peter H. Reynolds. 2010. Houghton Mifflin. 48 pages.
The wind and I play
tug-of-war with my new kite.
The wind is winning.
Guyku is a poetry book that celebrates many things: the changing of the seasons, nature, childhood, friendship, and good old-fashioned fun--playing outside. Here is what the jacket says, "When you're a guy, nature is one big playground--no matter what the season."

The book is divided into four sections--seasons. The poems are haiku, of course. I really enjoyed this one. I liked the celebration of the simple things in life. The joys of jumping, splashing, playing, etc. I liked the poetry. I liked the illustrations.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

2 comments:

Elaine Magliaro said...

Becky,

I just picked up a copy of this book the other day--and am looking forward to reading it.

Kate Scott said...

What a cute book! I love that it's written just for boys... so many things are overly unisex these days.

BTW, congrats on reaching 500 followers!