Sunday, February 14, 2010

Sunday Salon: Reading, Read, To Read #7

Happy Sunday! Happy Valentine's Day! Happy Cybils Day too! Are you watching the Olympics? Do you have a favorite event? I'm looking forward to the figure skating of course! I love most everything but the ice dancing. The first Olympics I remember are the 1988 ones. It was probably watching this performance that made me love, love, love figure skating in the first place.




What I've Reviewed This Week:

Bad News for Outlaws: The Remarkable Life of Bass Reeves, Deputy U.S. Marshal. Vaunda Micheaux Nelson. Illustrated by R. Gregory Christie. 2009. [September 2009]. Lerner. 40 pages.
Blizzard! The Storm That Changed America
. By Jim Murphy. 2000. Scholastic. 136 pages.
Lunch Lady and the Author Visit Vendetta. Jarrett J. Krosoczka. 2009. [December 2009] Random House. 96 pages.
Bear Hugs: Romantically Ridiculous Animal Rhymes. By Karma Wilson. Illustrated by Suzanne Watts. 2009. [December 2009] Simon & Schuster. 64 pages.
Your God Is Too Small. By J.B. Phillips. (1952) 2004. Simon & Schuster. 128 pages.
A Sweet and Bitter Providence: Sex, Race, and The Sovereignty of God. John Piper. 2010. Crossway. 160 pages.
Anything But Normal. Melody Carlson. 2010. [January 2010] Revell. 254 pages.
American Rust by Philipp Meyer. 2009. Random House. 384 pages.
The Jane Austen Book Club. Karen Joy Fowler. 2004. Penguin. 288 pages.
The Counterfeit Guest. Rose Melikan. 2009 [August 2009] Simon & Schuster. 432 pages.
Sweet, Hereafter. Angela Johnson. 2010. [January 2010] Simon & Schuster. 118 pages.
The Sea of Trolls. Nancy Farmer. 2004. Simon & Schuster. 480 pages.
Heaven. By Angela Johnson. 1998. Simon & Schuster. 144 pages.
Where The Mountain Meets The Moon by Grace Lin. Little, Brown. 288 pages.
How Do Dinosaurs Say I Love You by Jane Yolen. Illustrated by Mark Teague. 2009. [October 2009]. Scholastic. 40 pages.
Kiss Kiss by Selma Mandine. Translated by Michelle Williams. 2009. [December 2009] Random House. 32 pages.
Chester's Back! Not a Melanie Watt Book. (By Melanie Watt) 2008. Kids Can Press. 32 pages.
Happy Belly, Happy Smile. By Rachel Isadora. 2009. [September 2009] Harcourt. 32 pages.
Guess Who? A Foldout Valentine's Adventure. Lola Schaefer. 2009. [December 2009] Simon & Schuster. 14 pages.
Bear of My Heart by Joanne Ryder. Illustrated by Margie Moore. 2009. [December 2009] 32 pages.
Baby, I Love You by Karma Wilson. Illustrated by Sam Williams. 2009. [December 2009] Simon & Schuster. 30 pages.
How Do Lions Say I Love You? By Diane Muldrow. Illustrated by David Walker. 2009. [December 2009] Random House. 14 pages.
How Do Dinosaurs Love Their Cats? by Jane Yolen. Illustrated by Mark Teague. 2010. [January 2010]. Scholastic. 6 pages.
How Do Dinosaurs Love Their Dogs? by Jane Yolen. Illustrated by Mark Teague. 2010. [January 2010]. Scholastic. 6 pages.

What I'm Currently Reading:


The Black Moth by Georgette Heyer. 1921/2009. Sourcebooks. 355 pages.


The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien. 1966. Houghton Mifflin. 423 pages.


The Country House Courtship by Linore Rose Burkard. 2010. [January 2010] Harvest House. 287 pages.


Emma Brown: A Novel From the Unfinished Manuscript by Charlotte Bronte. Clare Boylan. 2005. Penguin. 464 pages.

What I Hope To Begin/Finish Soon:



Mare's War. Tanita S. Davis. Random House. 352 pages.



Blue Plate Special by Michelle D. Kwasney. 2009. Chronicle Books. 366 pages

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

7 comments:

Beth S. said...

I also love figure skating! I became a junkie back in 1994 during the whole Nancy/Tonya scandal.

Michelle Kwan is my favorite skater of all time and I don't think the skating world is the same without her. I miss her heart, passion, and graciousness.

This year though I'm rooting for the ice dance team of Davis and White since they train literally two minutes from my house.

Now that I'm all hopped up on figure skating, I'm gonna have to go post about it on my blog...

Blaize said...

Thanks so much for posting this, Becky! I'd forgetten how beautiful figure skating used to be before they changed the rules. Now it seems like everyone's doing the same routine.

Sycorax Pine said...

Yes, I am totally, devotedly watching the Olympics. I love it all, including the ice dancing. It is reputed to be considerably more dangerous than many other sports - mostly because of the complexity of the maneuvers they perform at high speed with their skates very, very close together.

Charlotte said...

I missed that Olympics, so I never saw that performance. Breathtaking! How sad that he died so young.

Charlotte said...

I missed that Olympics, so I never saw that performance. Breathtaking! How sad that he died so young.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Mercy! Not sure how you had any time to watch the Olympics...you seem to have been engaged in your own Olympics, the Olympics of Reviewing! And you win!

DesLily said...

love all of the Olympics! But I am with you and love the figure skating.. I've also become a fan of short track and especially Apolo Ohno.. I am sad to think this is most likely his last Olympics..