Friday, September 25, 2009

Library Loot: Fourth Week in September


So this is me showing self-restraint! How do you think I did? Of course, if you count the leftover loot, then maybe I still have a problem. But I think I did much better this time round.


Darkness Be My Friend by John Marsden
Burning for Revenge by John Marsden
The Night is For Hunting by John Marsden
The Other Side of Dawn by John Marsden

Notes: In a way, I'm glad I waited so long to read these. Because it would have been torture to read these as they were released. It's satisfying (to me at least) to read them all after the other and really become absorbed in the story. So far, I've read the first two...and am currently in the third. These are the last four of the series.



Emily's Ghost: A Novel of the Bronte Sisters by Denise Giardina

Note: I'm really excited about this one. I hope it doesn't let me down. Will it be as good as The Secret Diaries of Charlotte Bronte? I'll let you know.


Evermore by Alyson Noel

Note: The good news, my library finally had this one. I'd been searching the catalog for it every week for months. It was always checked out.



Songs for the Butcher's Daughter by Peter Manseau
Life of Pi by Yann Martel

Notes: Both of these are "risks" for me. In a way. I picked up Songs for the Butcher's Daughter because the title got my attention, then I saw a little sticker "National Jewish Book Awards Winner" and the back reads "Winner, 2009 Sophie Brody Medal." I need one more read for the Book Awards 3 challenge. With the Book Awards challenge being fresh in my mind, I managed to come home with Life of Pi. I was looking for other books--I wasn't *searching* for this one or anything. But here it is all the same.



Son of the Shadows by Juliet Marillier

Note: The second book in the Sevenwaters Trilogy. I have no idea if I'll get to the first one in the series (see leftover loot below) but in case I fall head over heels with it, it's always good to be prepared, right???

Leftover Loot:

A Killing Frost by John Marsden
The Belgariad. Volume 1 (3-in-1 collection) David Eddings (Includes: Pawn of Prophecy, Queen of Sorcery, Magician's Gambit)
Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict by Laurie Viera Rigler
Fingersmith by Sarah Waters
Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier.
The Winter King by Bernard Cornwell
Graveyard for Lunatics by Ray Bradbury
Federations. Edited by John Joseph Adams.
Fast Ships, Black Sails. Edited by Ann & Jeff VanderMeer
The Grapes of Wrath by John Steineck
Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini
Secret History of the Pink Carnation by Lauren Willig
A Place of Greater Safety by Hilary Mantel
2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur Clarke
Zoe's Tale by John Scalzi
The Independence of Miss Mary Bennet by Colleen McCullough
Claudius the God by Robert Graves
Fourth Comings by Megan McCafferty
Perfect Fifths by Megan McCafferty

Library Loot is a weekly event co-hosted by Eva and Marg that encourages bloggers to share the books they’ve checked out from the library. If you’d like to participate, just write up your post-feel free to steal the button-and link it using the Mr. Linky any time during the week. And of course check out what other participants are getting from their libraries!

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

5 comments:

soleil said...

i really liked Life of Pi. i hope you enjoy it too.

She said...

Hmm, I wasn't a huge fan of Life of Pi. I can't really say why, but I hope you enjoy it! I've also read Daughter of the Forest and remember liking it, but I don't think I've read the sequel.

Seems like you have a ton of awesome books there!

Tif Sweeney said...

Life of Pi is a fabulous book!! I hope you enjoy it!!

Eva said...

ZOMG! The cover of Songs for the Butcher's Daughter is a Chagall painting! (My favourite atuhor) Now I want to read the book just for that. In the Sevenwaters Trilogy, Son of the Shadows follows the 'next' generation after Daughter of the Forest. Just so you know! There's no cliffhanger ending. :)

Kailana said...

Okay, you have me worried about the Marsden. I don't think my library HAS the whole series... This will be a problem if I love the first book! I can't remember how many they have. Will have to go look.