Sunday, September 06, 2009

The Heretic Queen


Moran, Michelle. 2008. The Heretic Queen. Crown Publishers. 381 pages.

I am sure that if I sat in a quiet place, away from the palace and the bustle of the court, I could remember scenes from my childhood much earlier than six years old.

Set during the Nineteenth Dynasty, The Heretic Queen is a wonderfully absorbing novel of love, ambition, greed, hope, and redemption. Our heroine is the young Nefertari, daughter of Mutnodjmet and General Nakhtmin. Her life had tragic beginnings, no doubt, her entire family being killed--some would even say murdered. She's sheltered by the current pharoah, true, but for how long? What is her place in this royal court, this royal family? Raised alongside Ramesses II, she has secretly been dreaming of marrying him. But unlike her ill-fated, too-ambitious aunt, Nefertiti, she's not dreaming of the crown and thrown. She's dreaming of the man. But there are great powers at work in this dysfunctional family and court who would do anything to prevent her from that match. (The High Priest of Amun, Rahotep, and Henuttawy, the high priestess of Isis and the pharoah's own sister.) Fortunately for Nefertari, there are people desiring her to win Ramesses' heart and claim the title of queen. (Woserit, the high priestess of Hathor and the pharoah's other sister; and Paser, a wise teacher and advisor).

I loved this book. It's rich in detail, fine in characterization, and magnificent in scope. I loved the love and romance between Ramesses and Nefertari. I did. I don't think you have to love romance to love the book. I think it will appeal to anyone who loves history and historical fiction.



© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

4 comments:

Elena said...

This was another great book to read. You've done a great job summing it up too. That's a point where I always struggle, so I appreciate reading good ones.

A Buckeye Girl Reads said...

I saw this book on Goodreads, and it looked like an interesting read. I'm glad you liked it. Another one to add to the ever growing want-to-read list.

Suko said...

I have a giveaway posted in my sidebar for this one. It sounds so good!

Anna said...

Glad to see you loved this one, too. I think the romance and history were well balanced.

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric