Sunday, August 09, 2009

Sunday Salon: Reading, Read, To Read #32


Happy Sunday! How are you? How was your week? Yesterday afternoon I was thinking of all the things I could write about in today's post. But today I started this post with my mind a complete blank. Oh well. That's how it goes I suppose.

Since I can't think of my original topic, I'll go with a new one. Which books have you picked up because you enjoyed the movie? How often does a movie inspire you to seek out a book? Has a movie ever changed your mind about a book?

This week, I've started two new books: The Scarlet Pimpernel and Captain Blood. Both books were chosen because I absolutely loved, loved, loved the movies.

This week in movies:

Amazing Grace
The Scarlet Pimpernel (1999)(3 discs)
Pride and Prejudice (1940) my review
The Three Musketeers (1948?)

(Two abandoned movies: Woman of the Year; On the Town)

What I read in a previous week, but reviewed this week:

Five Children and It by E. Nesbit. 1902. Puffin Classics. 237 pages.
Al Capone Does My Shirt by Gennifer Choldenko. 2004. Penguin. 228 pages.
Goth Girl Rising by Barry Lyga. Houghton Mifflin. 2009. 400 pages. (October release)
Mr. Darcy, Vampyre. Amanda Grange. 2009. Sourcebooks. 308 pages.
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. By Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. Random House. 278 pages.
Tricks by Ellen Hopkins. 2009. Simon & Schuster. 625 pages.
Knights of the Lunch Table: The Dragon Players. By Frank Cammuso. 2009. 127 pages.

What I read this past week and reviewed:

Monsters Don't Eat Broccoli. Barbara Jean Hicks. 2009. Random House.
Lulu's Pajamas. Lucie Papineau. 2009. Kids Can Press.
The True Story of Little Red Riding Hood by Agnese Baruzzi. 2009. Candlewick Press.
The True Story of Goldilocks. Agnese Baruzzi. 2009. Candlewick Press.
Flowers in the Attic by V.C. Andrews. 1979. Simon & Schuster. 389 pages.
Montana Rose by Mary Connealy. 2009. Barbour. 318 pages.
The Frontiersman's Daughter by Laura Frantz. 2009. Revell. 412 pages.

What I read this past week and haven't reviewed yet:

North Or Be Eaten by Andrew Peterson. 2009. Water Brook. 332 pages.
The Navel of the World. P.J. Hoover. 2009. CBay Books. 296 pages.
Lady of Milkweed Manor by Julie Klassen. 2007. Bethany House. 412 pages.

What I've read and really, really need to review:

Tom's Midnight Garden. Philippa Pearce 1958. 240 pages.

What I'm currently reading:

The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Emmuska Orczy
Captain Blood by Rafael Sabatini
The Witching Hour by Anne Rice
June Bug by Chris Fabry
The Secret Life of Prince Charming by Deb Caletti
Putting the Amazing Back Into Grace by Michael Horton
The Greatest Knight by Elizabeth Chadwick

What I'm just fooling around that I'm reading:

The Way We Live Now by Anthony Trollope
Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Cleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran

What I hope to start reading soon:

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

and

my library books!

Extra loot to add to my library loot:

The Way of All Flesh by Samuel Butler
Tarzan of the Apes by Edgar Rice Burroughs
A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck

What I've abandoned: 2 movies. I'm also *considering* abandoning Gone With The Wind. But I haven't decided yet. (For the record, I've read it a dozen times at least. So it's not because I don't like it.)

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

4 comments:

Suko said...

Becky, I think you have an excellent blog and I nominated you for a BBAW award. Good luck!

cleemckenzie said...

I'm waiting for your review of Tom's Midnight Garden. Want to read what you think.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Interesting question, but I would have to reply: NEVER. I cannot remember a movie sending me to a book to read and finding I like the book.

On the other hand, I've read a million books that have been made into movies. I've ventured into the movies-from-books and spent the two hours gagging.

Carl V. Anderson said...

How oddly coincidental, I was just looking through a friend's collectible book about Errol Flynn last night and we were talking about Captain Blood. I really want to see that film now.

I look forward to your thoughts on The Time Traveler's Wife. Loved that book.