Sunday, July 19, 2009

Sunday Salon: Reading, Read, To Read #29

Happy Sunday everyone! I had a great week for movies and for books--though it may not look like it. Three Men on the Bummel was fabulous. Loved it. And I "discovered" Connie Willis' To Say Nothing of the Dog. I really can't recommend that one highly enough!!! It was such a great book. Have you discovered a new favorite this week? A book that you know just has to make your year-end best-of list?

This week in movies:

How To Marry A Millionaire
Barchester Chronicles
Calamity Jane
War of the Worlds
Wife vs. Secretary
Some Like It Hot
Step Lively
It Happened in Brooklyn
That Touch of Mink
Lullaby of Broadway
Roberta
The Awful Truth

What I read in a previous week, but reviewed this week:

The Grumpy Dump Truck by Brie Spangler. 2009. Random House.
It's A Secret by John Burningham. 2009. Candlewick Press.
How To Get Married by Me The Bride. Sally Lloyd-Jones. 2009. Random House.
Maybe A Bear Ate It by Robie H. Harris. 2008. Scholastic.
Junie B.'s Essential Survival Guide to School by Barbara Park. Random House. 2009.
The Art of Reading. Forty Illustrators Celebrate RIF's 40th Anniversary. With A Foreword by Leonard Marcus. 2005. Penguin.

What I read this past week and reviewed:

Jack Russell: Dog Detective: The Mugged Pug. Darrel and Sally Odgers. 2007. Kane/Miller. 76 pages.
Jack Russell: Dog Detective: The Lying Postman. Darrel and Sally Odgers. 2007. Kane/Miller. 80 pages.
Jack Russell: Dog Detective: The Awful Pawful. Darrel and Sally Odgers. 2007. Kane/Miller. 80 pages.
Jack Russell: Dog Detective: The Sausage Situation. Darrel and Sally Odgers. 2007. Kane/Miller. 80 pages.
House of Many Ways by Diana Wynne Jones. 2008. HarperCollins. 404 pages.
Three Men on the Bummel. Jerome K. Jerome. 1900. 168 pages.
The Grand Sophy. Georgette Heyer. 1950/2009. SourceBooks. 372 pages.
The Ghost Brigades. John Scalzi. 2006. 314 pages.
To Say Nothing of the Dog. Connie Willis. 1998. 493 pages.

What I read this past week and haven't reviewed yet:

Pet Vet: The Mare's Tale. Darrel & Sally Odgers. 2009. Kane/Miller. 88 pages.
Jack Russell: Dog Detective: The Buried Biscuits. Darrel and Sally Odgers. 2008. Kane/Miller. 80 pages.
Jack Russell: Dog Detective: The Kitnapped Creature. Darrel and Sally Odgers. 2008. Kane/Miller. 80 pages.
Cart and Cwidder. Diana Wynne Jones. 1975. 214 pages.

What I've read and really really need to review: none

What I'm currently reading:

The Corinthian by Georgette Heyer
The Last Colony by John Scalzi

What I'm just fooling around that I'm reading:

Clara's War: One Girl's Story of Survival by Clara Kramer. 2009. HarperCollins. 352 pages.
Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Cleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran

She by H. Rider Haggard

What I hope to start reading soon:

Offworld by Robin Parrish
The Enclave by Karen Hancock

What I've abandoned:

On the Beach by Nevil Shute

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Barchester Chronicles?! So - how did you like it? L.

Kristen said...

Hi Becky, I have an award for you on my site http://bookwormkristen.blogspot.com/2009/07/award.html

Nikki in Niagara said...

Oh my goodness! On the Beach?? So were you really not liking it?? Or just didn't have time to get into it. I LOVED that book.

Becky said...

It wasn't so much that I didn't "like" it. I just didn't get into it. It's probably a timing issue for me, I may pick it up later and like it.

Care said...

uh oh. The only one I've read is On the Beach! but it was a loooooong time ago.