Thursday, January 01, 2009

BTT: Reading Resolutions

btt button

Happy New Year, everyone!

So … any Reading Resolutions? Say, specific books you plan to read? A plan to read more ____? Anything at all?

Name me at least ONE thing you’re looking forward to reading this year!

I blogged about reading resolutions this past Sunday. But I'll bring up a few more things here.

My reading resolution isn't so much what to read as to when to read. I'm going to *try* to read my review copies in a more timely manner--trying to get to them before they publish and making mention on the blog the week/month that they're published. I can't promise you can teach me a new trick. But I'm going to try my best. If I fail, then I fail. And I'll keep on trying until I make some headway. I'm not perfect, I'll never be perfect. And I am human. Very human. So don't expect me to be perfect on this or any other resolution.

I am going to try to not let challenges control me. Challenges come and go. And there are more important things than joining each and every one and pushing, pushing, pushing yourself to finish each one you sign up for. It's fine if it doesn't start running you, but it can get out of hand if you let it.

I do want more balance in my reading life.

Right now I am reading Don Quixote. This has been a goal of mine for a while. (It's on several challenge lists for one thing.) And I wanted to start the year off with it.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

5 comments:

jlshall said...

Yes, that's why I usually don't make resolutions - I find learning new tricks almost impossible these days! Don Quixote is a great book to start the year with, and one I've always wanted to read. Happy New Year and Happy Reading!

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

Ooh! I still haven't finished Don Quixote!

New Year's Resolution

Happy New Year

CK said...

Well, priority calls for reading books for each semester first and foremost. I will be taking a Lit for Children and Young Adults class and the general Public Library class for my masters degree.

I just finished "A Thousand Splendid Suns" last night...bawling my eyes out all the way through. I'm piddling with the idea of reading the Harry Potter series or my new Jane Austen set I got for Christmas....my heart is telling me to read the lovely Austen but my career-oriented brain says HP b/c I've never read those. Seeing as how I'm a Children and Young Adult Librarian I should probably read HP.

Have fun with DQ!

SmilingSally said...

Well said, Becky. Reading should be FUN! Happy New Year.

Noël De Vries said...

Arg, Don was the one book I COULD NOT finish last year.

Well, CK, I'm a youth librarian and I've only read HP #1 so there! :) There's so much more out there, in my opinion.