Friday, September 12, 2008

Poetry Friday: Cheese Roll Call



CHEESE ROLL CALL
Lyrics by Paul Rugg.

Sung to Semper Fidelis by John Philip Sousa.


Pinky: A world of cheeses
Deliciously made for you and me
Flavors like Provolone and Brie
Each with its own ethnicity.
So many cheeses
Are available all around the world for you to eat
Especially good with crackers and meat
A nice yummy treat.

Thousands of cheeses
The texture of some can be real gooey
Others are quite firm and chewy
Some are better when mildewy.
Bountiful cheeses
When you take a big whiff a few
Will make you want to spew
Especially strong is the cheese Remoudou
A real stinkeroo.

It's incredible just how many kinds there are
From countries near and far
It's really quite bizarre.
Now from the mouths of cheeses big and small
We proudly present to you
The cheese roll call.

*Wensleydale: I am the British cheese Wensleydale, lightly
* pressed and smooth textured with a subtle
* milky flavor which is clean and refreshing.
*
*Pinky: Welcome, Wensleydale!
*
*Cheddam: G'day! I am Australian Cheddam, an
* innocuous, golden yellow, rindless block
* inspired by Cheddar and Edam!
*
*Pinky: Welcome, Cheddam!

Edelpilzkäse: I am the German cheese Edelpilzkäse, a fine,
blue-veined cheese with a pale ivory paste
and very dark veins traveling vertically
through me.

Pinky: Welcome, Edelpil... Edel... oh, willkommen!

+Brie: I am the French cheese Brie, a soft,
+ unpressed, naturally drained cow's milk with
+ white rind flora, molded into large flat disks
+ and ripened for three to four weeks.

Pinky: Thank you, cheeses! I want to eat you all!

Pinky: Oh, how I like my cheeses
Cheese from around the world
Cheese is the taste that pleases
Cheese from around the world (sing with me, cheeses!)

+some: Oh, how I like my cheeses
Cheese from around the world (everybody!)
+all : Cheese is the taste that pleases
Cheese from around the world

Around this great big world
Around this big cheese world
Around this great big world
Around this big -- cheese -- world!

Pinky: Mmm... yummy! Narf!


© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, how I love Pink & the Brain. And now, I'll be hearing that ALL DAY!

Anonymous said...

I miss that cartoon! Truly one of the great. I wonder if I can find it on youtube?

Douglas Florian said...

one more rhyme with cheese
and I'll sneeze on my knees.

Loved it, Becky!
douglas florian