Friday, July 11, 2008

Poetry Friday: Tap Dancing On the Roof


I've enjoyed many of Linda Sue Park's books through the years. And I was pleased to discover her book of poetry, Tap Dancing On the Roof, a collection of sijo poems. (There is an introduction to explain just what sijo means.) Here is my favorite from the book:






Shower

Hurry, wash fast, sister's used up most of the hot water again.
Soap, scrub, rinse. Rub and wrap. Hair shining, skin glowing, smelling fine:

From a tiled cocoon, a butterfly with terrycloth wings.


While that one is my favorite, there are many other enjoyable poems found within Tap Dancing On the Roof. I didn't love the illustrations. I found them a bit boring and uninviting. But the text itself, the poems themselves are quite nice.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like that one! I'm picturing scrubbed skin and smelling soap now as I ruminate on what a "sijo" might be...

Holly said...

How lovely! I didn't know she wrote poetry until today.