Sunday, December 30, 2007

Clarifying the Celebrate the Author Challenge


The start of the new year is only days away. And with it comes the start of many of my challenges.

I posted about the Celebrate the Author challenge back in September. And the response has been more than I ever imagined. (You're still welcome to join up by the way....I'd say you could join up anytime between now and January 15th.)

This is a twelve month challenge (January 1, 2008 through December 31, 2008).

The challenge is designed to "celebrate" author birthdays. Choose one author for each month of the year. Read at least one book a month. 12 authors. 12 birthdays. If you like, you can read MORE than that. If you're really obsessive, you might want to "celebrate" all 52 weeks of the year. (But even I am not THAT zealous!) The challenge is designed to 'celebrate' the special bond--the connection--that occurs between the author AND the reader as well as the connection between readers. It is very easy to "bond" with other readers over certain works, certain authors, etc.

For full details and to sign up, you'll need to go to the original post.

How does this challenge work? On the 15th of each and every month, I will post a Celebrate-the-Author Roundup. When you've read the book for that month, simply leave me a comment in the roundup post. I'll take everyone's links and write something up. That way you can visit other participants books and get a sense of what everyone else is doing for the challenge. The reviews might even begin to influence your to-be-read pile! At the end of the year, I will then do a roundup of all the months' roundups. I might ask--I probably will ask--you to write up a post summarizing your year, picking your favorites, etc. I'll link to those as well.

Edited to add: To clarify this clarification. This doesn't mean you'll have to have read your book for the month by the 15th. It just means that that is the post you'll need in order to use the comments to leave your links. (Could that sentence get any worse as far as wording goes????) I picked the middle of the month because it seemed fair. I thought that earlier than that and most people wouldn't have had a chance to read their books yet and might feel pressured. This way whether your "late" or "early" in your reading, you'll know where to find the roundup post.

1 comment:

Debi said...

Great idea, Becky! I'm anxious to get started!