Sunday, November 11, 2007

grl2grl


Peters, Julie Anne. 2007. Grl2Grl.

Grl2Grl is a collection of short stories by Julie Anne Peters. Short stories aren't my typical pick. Usually I find them just that--too short--to be good. I like well-developed characters. I like the time to get emotionally attached, emotionally involved with the unfolding story and characters. However, Peters' collection is better than most I've read. While I wouldn't say I loved it or enjoyed it more than any of the novels I've read this past year, it goes to the top of my list in young adult short story collections I've read in the past year or so. (To be honest, that's only comparing it to about five or six books.) The stories, the characters felt real, felt authentic. The stories were honest, some raw, all emotional. So I would definitely recommend this one to others.

In this honest, emotionally captivating short story collection, renowned author and National Book Award finalist Julie Anne Peters offers a stunning portrayal of teens as they navigate the hurdles of relationships and sexual identity.

What you see is what you get with this one. Overall, I liked it. I can't help preferring novels to short stories. I just can't. But the characters felt very human, and I'm sure that if given just a bit more I would have loved it or appreciated it more.

No comments: