Saturday, September 15, 2007

Summer Reading Thing--The End

Summer Reading Things Recaps

I listed 20 books for this challenge. I finished eleven of the twenty. That's over half. Some of them I returned unread. (About four of them.) The rest (five) I'll try to get to eventually, but there is absolutely no way that I can get to them before September 22nd.

I was now "wowed" by any on my list.

Leepike Ridge by N.D. Wilson was my favorite from this list. With Rising Star of Rusty Nail being my second favorite.

I didn't really have a least favorite. Sure, I could say that Converting Kate--the book I gave up--was my least favorite. But it wouldn't really be fair. I read a third of it and said it wasn't worth my time. (Not that it isn't worth other people's time mind you. But I am a very very busy reader.)

I had hoped to finish all of these. But I was overwhelmed with other readings. These books were books I'd borrowed June 18th in my non-class class meeting at TWU (Texas Woman's University). We had another meeting in July where more books came home with me. And then there is the joyous arrival every now and then of review copies to my door. So most of these sat in an unenthused pile. They didn't look as *tempting* as the other books. What is is.

N.D. Wilson would be the author I'm most excited about. He has a new book coming out this winter (December) that I would love, love, love to get a review copy of.

That I'm not perfect. I can be overwhelmed. And I have to *listen* to myself. Reading is supposed to be fun, not a chore. And it's better to read books that you want to read instead of following a list.

This post may sound negative. But I'm not meaning it to. It wasn't the challenge's fault that I was underwhelmed with my own selections. I chose the books after all.

I am planning on joining the Fall Into Reading Challenge. I am planning on reading the first few pages of each first to make sure that they all interest me before I make them into an "official" list.

1 comment:

Karlene said...

Becky, thanks so much for participating in the Summer Reading Thing. I've really enjoyed reading your book reviews. I'm amazed at how quickly you read. I impress all my friends and family because I'm a really fast reader, but you read circles around me.

I've added several of your suggestions to my "Read Soon" list. Your site will definitely be one that I continue to visit.