Wednesday, July 18, 2007

All the Other Things I Really Need To Know...


Marinaccio, Dave. 1998. All the Other Things I Really Need To Know I Learned From Watching Star Trek the Next Generation.

Last week, I reviewed Dave Marinaccio's other Star Trek book. The one written about the original series. The books are very different from one another. This second one is organized by character. And it seems to flow better. It has some logic and order in how things are presented. There seems to be less rambling. And overall, I enjoyed it a bit more. Which shouldn't really surprise you if you know me.

I'll admit it now. I'm a Next Generation girl. I was in elementary school when the series premiered. I still remember the glory of it all. It was a BIG, BIG, BIG deal at my house. Every week we'd sit together as a family and watch as the magic of television took us to galaxies far, far away:

"Space... The final frontier...
These are the voyages of the Starship Enterprise.
Its continuing mission:
To explore strange new worlds...
To seek out new life and new civilisations...
To boldly go where no one has gone before!"

Every week we'd faithfully watch the show. It became a part of our lives. And I was more than a little upset to see it end. It was a show that without a doubt held the top-honored spot as favorite until Stargate SG-1 came along many years later. Now if only some brilliant person out there would write a book called All The Things I Really Need To Know I Learned from Watching Stargate. :)

What both shows have in common--besides the obvious--is that each episode is a chance for daddy-daughter bonding time. Always have been, always will be. And each episode--for the most part--invites repeated viewings. You don't get tired of watching these shows. They're just too good. Some I could watch over, and over, and over again all in the same day.

Another thing they have in common? Wonderful, amazingly hummable, can't-get-enough-of-them theme songs that make me happy. (Really, really happy.) There is no fast-forwarding allowed when I'm around.



Without words:



With words:

2 comments:

Karlene said...

TNG forever! :)

Lost might tie with first place. Depends on how they end it.

MsStargate said...

Truer words were never spoken.
I love Next Gen but I adore SG-1

Another Becky